Piece of a Commemorative Cable for the building of the Nihotupu dam in 1923

1923
See full details

Details


Production Date
1923
Description
This is a commemorative section of a 100 ton electrical cable which was used in an aerial crane during the building of the Nihotupu dam. The dam was officially opened Hon. J.G. Coates, M.C., Minister of Public Works on April 14, 1923. There are inscriptions all around the section. One portion shows a graph, another gives various specifications and on the main portion is Auckland City Council announcement.
Media/Materials
Processed Material/Metal/Alloy/Steel/Stainless Steel
Signature/Marks and Type
AUCKLAND CITY COUNCIL/ NIHOTUPU DAM/ OFFICIALLY OPENED BY/ HON J.C.COATS M.C/ MINISTER OF PUBLIC WORKS/ APRIL 14 1923/ J.H.GUNSON C.M.G C.B.E/ MAYOR/ GEP.BAILDON Chairman Works Committee/ J.S.BRIGHAM TOWN CLERK Engraved
This section of 100 ton Cable was used in/ Aerial crane during the building of Dam./ Catchment Area 2400 Acres/ Water Area 36/ Storage Capacity 530,000,000 Gallons/ Length of Crest 530 feet/ " " over flow weir 114 "/ Height above cut off wall 165 "/ Elevation of weir above sea 706 "/ concrete in structure 713,00 c. yds/ W.E BUSH M.Inst C.E.City Engineer/ J. Tyler M.Inst M & Cy. E. Constructional Engineer Engraved
Accession No
2006.102
Credit Line
1923. Piece of a Commemorative Cable for the building of the Nihotupu dam in 1923, 2006.102. The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT).
Disclaimer

The development of MOTAT's online platform is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public.

 Do you know something about this object? Contact us or comment below.


Be the first to comment.