The Western Springs Pumphouse and Boiler House 1877

William Errington, Designer

1877
See full details

Details


Maker and Role
William Errington, Designer
Production Date
1877
Description
The Pumphouse (also known as the Engine House) has three levels; the basement, the ground floor and the gallery. The machinery passes through the three levels and is supported by cast iron columns and brackets. The exterior walls are red brick with cornerstones of basalt. The steps and windowsills are also basalt. Inside, the walls are plastered and finished with a moulded skirting and dado to the height of 1.35 m. The timber flooring and other joinery is all of the best quality heart kauri. The staircase has moulded banisters and a moulded, polished handrail.

The Boiler House is adjacent, and an interesting feature is the exposed timber bracing in the roof. The brick arches over the doors have a basalt keystone in the centre. Originally the roof of this building was made from slate tiles but it is now corrugated iron. The boiler house chimney was removed in 1948.
Collection
Media/Materials
Processed Material/Metal/Iron/Cast Iron
Organic/Vegetal/Wood
Processed Material/Glass
Inorganic
Accession No
1964.311
Credit Line
William Errington. 1877. The Western Springs Pumphouse and Boiler House 1877, 1964.311. The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT).
Disclaimer

The development of MOTAT's online platform is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public.

Related Objects

 Do you know something about this object? Contact us or comment below.


Be the first to comment.