Waitākere Station Building and Shelter Shed

New Zealand Railways, Commissioned by

1879
See full details

Details


Maker and Role
New Zealand Railways, Commissioned by
Production Date
1879
Description
The lean-to portion of the station was built in 1879 as a general waiting room. It was also used as a goods shed, ticket lobby, produce stall and bicycle shed. In 1880, the larger portion of the building was constructed for use as a Post Office. In 1912, the Post Office was relocated and the building was converted to a railway station. When the station was shifted to MOTAT in 1972, one of the major problems was the removal of hand-wrought nails from the solid heart kauri timber used in its construction. The sliding doors on rollers were added at a later date.

The main station building has a hipped roof made from corrugated iron. Under the eaves, are a series of shaped brackets, a decorative feature that was popular at the time. Above the doorways, are sun hoods which are commonly seen in early houses above the doors and windows. There are moulded architraves around the doors, windows and the ticketing booth.
Collection
Media/Materials
Organic/Vegetal/Wood
Processed Material/Glass
Processed Material/Metal
Signature/Marks and Type
WAITAKERE Printed
Accession No
F1185.2003
Credit Line
New Zealand Railways. 1879. Waitākere Station Building and Shelter Shed, F1185.2003. The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT).
Disclaimer

The development of MOTAT's online platform is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public.

Related Objects

 Do you know something about this object? Contact us or comment below.


Be the first to comment.