Details


Production Date
1890
Description
The cell block was built for the Morrinsville Police Station in 1890. It was transported to Hamilton in 1927 where it was used until 1970. This building's primary function was security and there are several interesting "strong room" features. The entrance to the office is a double doorway with the outer door being double thickness. It is built with vertical and diagonal boards joined in the 'tongue and groove' style. The iron hinges are extra large and are bolted on. The windows are placed high up on the wall and barred on the outside with wire grills inside. The weatherboards are done in 'rusticated' style with grooves which resemble channel-jointed stonework.

The bench seat in the cell block is constructed of treated Rimu with Pinus Radiata used for the frame-work. The style of the nails in the bench indicate that it was constructed post 1960.
Other Name
Jail Block
Prison Cell
Collection
Media/Materials
Organic/Vegetal/Wood
Processed Material/Glass
Processed Material/Metal
Accession No
F1184.2003
Credit Line
1890. Building [Cell Block], F1184.2003. The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT).
Disclaimer

The development of MOTAT's online platform is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public.

 Do you know something about this object? Contact us or comment below.


Be the first to comment.