Building [Chapel of the Good Shepherd]

J Penman, Builder;  John Herbert, Builder; 

1898
See full details

Details


Maker and Role
J Penman, Builder
John Herbert, Builder
Production Date
1898
Description
The Chapel was formerly St Saviour's Church in Blockhouse Bay. It was completed in 1898 with money raised by the local community. This building features a steeply pitched corrugated iron roof with strong rafters placed in a triangular formation to support it. On top is the bell tower that is supported by a Celtic cross at each end. It is thought that the building once had a shingle roof. All the woodwork is heart kauri. The doors and windows have pointed arches following the 'Gothic Revival' style of the Victorian period. The windows above the altar are stained glass imported from England and feature a Celtic Cross.

Builder's signature is on a cut off section of wood, salvaged from when renovations/repairs were done.
Other Name
Chapel of the Good Shepherd
St Saviour's Church
Collection
Media/Materials
Organic/Vegetal/Wood
Processed Material/Glass
Processed Material/Metal
Signature/Marks and Type
Builder's signature / from / Victorian Village Church / Taken down when church porch / altered never got put back because / Vestry not rebuilt. Hand-written
To the glory of God / and in loving memory of / George Thomas & Kenneth Godsall Engraved
Accession No
1974.145
Credit Line
J Penman et al. 1898. Building [Chapel of the Good Shepherd], 1974.145. The Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT).
Disclaimer

The development of MOTAT's online platform is a continual process. Records are updated regularly, with new information and images. There may be mistakes or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public.

Related Objects

Loading...

 Do you know something about this object? Contact us or comment below.


Be the first to comment.